General Manager, TechAfghanistan
Introduction and Background:
TechAfghanistan is Afghanistan’s technology news magazine sharing latest technological advancements taking place in the country. TechAfghanistan creates awareness on technology, shares news and updates on local and global tech industry, and introduces innovators, leaders and change-makers. TechTV is an internet-based TV channel broadcasting variety of news, updates, interviews, HowTo’s about technology, such as software, ecommerce, information systems, clean technology, solar and wind, hardware and consumer electronics. Both TechAfghanistan and TechTV are programs by TechNation.
TechNation is a Kabul based emerging technology and consulting firm. Since our conception in 2007 we have led the way with innovative technology and unique consultancy and advisory services for a diverse set of clientele across many vertical sectors. Our organization has a global reach combined with a local focus. TechNation harnesses technology for education, business and society developing Afghanistan as a technology first nation. TechNation provides a dynamic, learning, collaborative and fun work environment.
The TechAfghanistan/TechTV Program Manager oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of TechAfghanistan/TechTV including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling program activities. The incumbent is responsible for designing, developing, and implementing projects and activities of TechAfghanistan and TechTV. The program has an editorial and a management team, editorial is led by an Editor in Chief, while the overall program is led and managed by the General Manager who closely works with the Editor in Chief and his team on various issues related to the program business. Basic function of the General Manager include directing the overall operation of TechAfghanistan/TechTV, implementing its system and procedures, and having total accountability for profit and loss outcome.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Program Manager performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following:
A. Plan the program
· Plan the delivery of the overall program and its activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization
· Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
· Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the program
· Develop an annual revenue plan, an annual budget and operating plan to support the program
· Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify areas for improvement
· Develop and help with funding proposals for the program to ensure the continuous delivery of services
· Promote public relations with the community through participation in local business, civic, government and international organizations.
B. Organize the program
· Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization
· Ensure that program activities comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards
· Develop forms and records to document program activities
C. Staff the program
· In consultation with the President, recruit, interview and select well-qualified program staff and supervise and develop program personnel to ensure highly motivated and efficient staff. Maintain sales-driven attitude among all program staff.
· Supervise and develop the Sales Manager and Marketing Manager to ensure a highly motivated and efficient sales staff. Ensure that the program sales process is followed, meeting revenue objectives and cash collection objectives.
· Supervise and develop the System Manager and Audience Manager to ensure a highly motivated and efficient system and staff that delivers high quality services.
· Supervise and develop the operations and admin staff to ensure a highly motivated and efficient staff that provides timely support for the program staff and quality service to customers.
· Implement the human resources policies, procedures and practices of the organization
· Ensure that personnel files for the program are properly maintained and kept confidential
· Establish and implement a performance management process for all program staff
· Engage volunteers for appropriate program activities using established volunteer management practices
· Ensure that all program staff receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the programs
· Perform duties of the sales manager and marketing manager until the company is an position to recruit these personnel.
D. Lead the program
· Ensure all staff members receive orientation and appropriate training in accordance with organizational standards
· Supervise program staff by providing direction, input and feedback
· Communicate with clients and other stakeholders to gain community support for the program and to solicit input to improve the program
· Liaise with other managers to ensure the effective and efficient program delivery
· Coordinate the delivery of services among different program activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency
E. Control the program
· Write reports on the program for management and for funders
· Communicate with funders as outlined in funding agreements
· Ensure that the program operate within the approved budget
· Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures
· Monitor cash flow projections and report actual cash flow and variance to the President on a regular basis (weekly/monthly/bimonthly)
· Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
· Ensure that all financial records for the program are up to date
· Ensure financial reports and supporting documentation for funders are prepared as outlined in funding agreements
· Provide required information to have invoices generated and submitted to funders according to the established timelines
· Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks
· Monitor the program activities on a regular basis and conduct an annual evaluation according to the program evaluation framework
· Report evaluation findings to the President and recommend changes to enhance the program, as appropriate.
· E. Other Duties
· Perform other duties and tasks as designated by the TechNation President.
· University degree in business administration, journalism, PR, communications, computing or or other related subject
B. Knowledge, skills and abilities
· Knowledge of program management
· Knowledge of client groups and/or issues related to the program area
· Great business planning, market research and analysis skills
· Great communications, PR, event management and people skills
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
· Computer literate and able to demonstrate proficiency in software applications required in the performance of job responsibilities. Should be tech-savvy and proficient in word processing, web and mobile apps, simple accounting, databases, spreadsheets, email, and internet. Experience with SharePoint preferred.
The Program Manager should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
· Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
· Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
· Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
· Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities. Should have effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills are imperative.
· Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Application deadline: 2016-Mar-15
Sector: Technology, Publishing